PC Online Cloud Backup

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tena20719

PC Online Cloud Backup

Post by tena20719 »

Hello,

I am new to PC online. Does this version back our files up to a cloud storage? If so, how does that work?

When I ran the backup program, it looks like it is backing up to a "Z" drive on my computer. It also says it shouldn't be used for a permanent back-up, only temporary.

Thanks in advance,
Tena

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: PC Online Cloud Backup

Post by Zorak »

The PowerChurch Online servers are backed up and copied offsite in a constant loop, approximately every 30-45 minutes, for disaster recovery purposes.

You can still make backups yourself from under Utilities > Backup & Restore. When saving files from PowerChurch Online, the drives on your local computer are mapped with drive letters M and higher. Look for "Client C (M)" in Windows or "Client Home (M)" on a Mac. In Windows, your local Documents, Desktop, or Downloads folders can be found under M:\Users\[your Windows username]\Documents, Desktop, or Downloads.

tena20719

Post by tena20719 »

Hey Zorak :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I would like to make sure I am understanding correctly. The PowerChurch online servers keeps a backup for me and I don't need to do that myself?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Our servers are backed up automatically/constantly to protect everyone's data from being lost in the event of a crash or the service going down. Our backups aren't available to you to restore.

You can make backups yourself for your own purposes, like to be able to restore after you delete someone from Membership that you shouldn't have.

tena20719

Post by tena20719 »

Well, this is very disappointing. The main reason we switched to the online version was so that our information could be secure in the cloud. If we can't restore from the pc cloud then that backup feature is pretty useless to us.

If this is the case then I need to discuss this with my boss. He may want to go back to the regular desktop version. At this point, I'm not really sure what the advantage would be to keep the online version.

Any insights you have before I speak to him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again :)

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

A secure online backup would ensure that you don't lose data, which is what we're doing. The main benefits of PowerChurch Online service would usually be having remote access, from virtually anywhere you have internet/data connection, and also Mac OS compatibility.

If you only wanted it for online backups, we published an article in one of our old email newsletters explaining how to set that up for free in the desktop PowerChurch Plus, using something like Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/453 ... t-2#backup

tena20719

Post by tena20719 »

Hi Zorak,

Thanks for your quick reply again.

I actually went ahead and called technical support. I was totally misunderstanding the process. :oops: I don't have to worry about doing a "restore" in an emergency situation because the online version never has to be restored. :D Totally my bad understanding.

Thanks so much for your help.
Tena